Monday, February 27, 2012

HOPE



~Please Watch This Short Clip From Shawshank Redemption*~
*For those with sensitive ears, it does have one "bad" word in it


I have made it so you will be directed to You Tube so you can see it in full screen. Please come back and read below.


Hope. The Christian hope is not a wondering if something will happen, but the confident anticipation of what we know will surely come to pass. Some might find it ironic that I would use Stephen King to define hope. As Tim Robbins says, "Hope is within us". In today's vernacular, hope and wish have become synonymous. I hope it snows becomes, I wish it would snow.

Hope is deep within us, it is at our center, as a Christian I would say it is empowered by the Holy Spirit. Hope is what sustains us when the world is falling in around us. It is the True North Star that gives direction to our inner compass. We, and we alone decide if we will embrace hope or give in to fear.

In the concentration camps of Nazi Germany, their primary method of control was to destroy hope. "The Red Cross is delivering blankets in two weeks." Then nothing would come. "We are looking for skilled carpenters and plumbers." Then they would be gathered up and exterminated in the showers. You see, if you can build hope and then rip it away, you have a shot to get the person to give up - to lose hope. This was described in,  Man's Search for Meaning by Vicktor Frankl, as he recounted his days in the Death camps. During 1942 - 1945 he slaved in four different camps including Auschwitz.

A great deal of us are facing troubles in our lives. We are uncertain about our jobs, homes and the economy in general. Hope tells me that I will preserver through these tough times. I have been through tough times before and I always wind up through them. I may not be where I wished I would be, but I am definitely where I hoped to be -- That being through the trouble. The passage in the New testament that gives me the most peace is in Romans 5: 2-5. Again I will share from The Message translated by Eugene Peterson:

"We throw open our doors to God
and discover at the same moment that he has already
thrown open his door to us.
We find ourselves standing where we always hoped we might stand
-- out in the wide open spaces of God's grace and glory,
standing tall and shouting our praise.
There's more to come: We continue to shout our praise
even when we are hemmed in with troubles,
because we know how troubles can develop passionate patience in us,
and how that patience in turn forges the tempered steel of virtue,
keeping us alert for whatever God will do next.
In alert expectancy (hope) such as this,
we're never feeling shortchanged.
Quite on the contrary--
we can't round up enough containers to hold everything
God generously pours into our lives through the Holy Spirit!"


All I can say is, do not let anyone or any set of circumstances rob you of the hope that is within you. Ask for help in your troubles. Ask God to help you see beyond them. Look to your North Star and plot your course - then launch out in faith that this too shall pass.




Peace,
~Al

7 comments:

  1. "I may not be where I wished I would be, but I am definitely where I hoped to be" -thanks, Al; so well said! I am reminded to decide to embrace hope.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dan and Dave,

      Thank you guys for your kind words. I have to admit, I am not as positive when I am up to my neck in crap.

      Al

      Delete
  2. I have been suffering for years with Fibromyalgia. Once an owner of a In Home Health Service to no longer being able to work. I have learned that wishing things will get better is not always dealing with reality. I have seen miracles in my life. Diagnosed with bone cancer & given three to eighteen months to live, Son once in a wheelchair now walks, so I know what God can do. Today my lesson, my test if you will is not losing hope but being content in the Lord.

    In mourning the loss of my former self I have been challenged and searching deep within to find value in me as both a wife, a mother and a friend. Really what we face when we lose us in illness or aging is having, to dig deeper into our very core to extract our inner resources for what we truly need as we get older. As I have I am fascinated that it seems as if big bold letters has popped up in my mind as if to point the way saying, THERE'S MORE TO THE STORY and you Ellie have to find it. The meaning of hope for me today is in the seacrh. In many ways I have become more confident in my own personal value but as my health worsens I tap into what I value, to not only help myself get through this time in my life, but to help others as well.

    What I find myself contemplating is missing aspects of me that I valued. Therefore looking deep into that list of what it is that I have valued. I am not there yet but I am trying to seek into the deepest part of me and determine if all I have valued and now miss was of value to God. What I have learned so far in this test is that aging is asking me to shift my attention from 'having' and 'doing' to 'being'. With a smile on my face ... I am working on it!

    Thanks for your article on hope, I hope you don't mind my input on it's definition for me. : ) God bless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellie,
      You have a story of courage and faith. It sounds like you have your head on straight and that you have placed your life in the hands of God. The passage I quoted from Romans 5 does promise us a wonderful hope:

      because we know how troubles can develop passionate patience in us,
      and how that patience in turn forges the tempered steel of virtue,
      keeping us alert for whatever God will do next.
      In alert expectancy (hope) such as this,
      we're never feeling shortchanged.
      Quite on the contrary--
      we can't round up enough containers to hold everything
      God generously pours into our lives through the Holy Spirit!

      Your words are a wonderful testimony to hope. I will pray that you find yourself always standing in the wide open spaces of God's grace and glory.

      Thank you so much for your kind and inspiring words.
      Your brother,
      Al :) God Bless

      Delete
  3. I appreciate this, Al. Your friend Doug Kostowski introduced me to your blog. Keep up the good work for the Lord! Perhaps you'll want to take a look at my daily devotional site at http://www.morningdevotion.com/

    ReplyDelete