Sunday, January 29, 2012

PEACE

Peace - I grew up near Berkeley, California and was a late teen during 60's. Peace symbols, tie died shirts and peace signs were prolific. As most things I believed at eighteen, my mind has matured and I now KNOW what peace means. Peace is almost a mistranslation  to convey the Greek word - eirene. The more accurate translation is "Harmony" or "Serenity". If you are lucky enough to be named Irene, your name means harmony.

Over the past few weeks, I have been talking about the fruit of the Spirit. In Galatians 5:22-23, Paul talks about what should be the by-product of our faith. I would like to share these verses from a translation by Eugene Peterson entitled, The Message:

"But what happens when we live God's way?
He brings gifts into our lives,
much the same way that fruit appears in an orchard --
things like affection for others, 
exuberance about life,
serenity.
We develop a willingness to stick with things,
a sense of compassion in the heart,
and a conviction that a basic holiness permeates things and people.
We find ourselves in loyal commitments,
not needing to force our way in life,
able to marshal and direct our energies wisely."

Peace is one of those listed, Peterson translates it serenity. Eirene is not a passive concept or an absence of conflict. Rather, it is active and it drives people to find common ground. It comes from within us and drives us to be at harmony in our relationships, environment and ourselves. When faced with conflict or pain, it is serenity. The song below was written in the midst of unbelievable loss, yet it begins with the words: 


"When peace like a river attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll,
Whatever my lot,
Thou has taught me to say,
It is well with my soul"

~PLEASE LISTEN AND HEAR THE STORY TO THIS HYMN~



His response sums up the concept of peace. We have talked about forgiveness, joy, love, faith and many other parts of a relationship with God. Peace, or that inner harmony, like joy is what sustains us. There is nothing the world can throw in our path to derail us. Pray that God can bring harmony to your life, an inner contentment. Then share that peace with those whom you come in contact.

Peace,
~Al

~I am available to speak to churches and groups, 
Please contact me at al.lachner@gmail.com~

1 comment: